Vegan and vegetarian, this spicy and aromatic Thai pineapple fried rice is ideal for a nutritious gluten-free lunch.
The anti-inflammatory and digestive benefits of pineapple and coconut oil lend this recipe a high nutritional value other than exotic Thai spices. The protein –digesting enzymes found in pineapple make it a healthy inclusion in any meal. Pineapple is high in antioxidants and immunity-building vitamins and minerals which make it a highly desirable fruit. Coconut oil offers aroma, flavour and many health benefits including prevention of heart diseases and building immunity. The kaffir lime leaves add to the nutritional benefits of this recipe. This fruit is native to Indonesia and Thailand and has digestive and blood purifying benefits. Not just the aroma of Kaffir lime leaves but the actual consumption is great for relieving stress! Now that’s what you need during lunch break at work.
Many people use basmati rice for Thai dishes but I would advise to stick to Jasmine rice if you want to enjoy a truly authentic Thai taste. I typically use leftover cooked rice from the day or two before as freshly cooked rice doesn’t yield the same results. It also saves time to prepare this recipe. However, if you don’t have pre-cooked rice from the day before, make sure to cook rice at least 3-4 hours before and let it sit for a while.
If you are missing carbs in this meal, feel free to toss in a few cubes of extra-firm tofu. I like it lightly roasted with sesame seeds.
Serves two people.
- Coconut Oil: 2 -3 tbsp
- Rice: 2 cups cooked
- Soy Sauce: 2 tbsp
- Curry powder: 2 tsp. Recommended product: Simply Organic Curry Powder Certified Organic
- Shallots: 2
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Chili flakes: 1/4 tsp. Recommended product: McFadden Farm Organic Chili Flakes Herbs
- Vegetable Stock: 1/4 cup
- Peas (frozen): 1/3 cup
- Pineapple chunks: 1 cup
- Raisins: 1/4 cup
- Cashews (whole): 1/3 cup
- Spring Onions: 3
- Coriander Leaves: 1/3 cup. Recommended Product: Simply Organic Cilantro Certified Organic
- Kaffir Lime leaves: 3-4. Recommended product: Dried Kaffir Lime Leaves in Bag
- Start with checking on the rice first. If you have pre-cooked rice, take it out of the refrigerator a few hours in advance and let it reach room temperature. If you are cooking rice the same day, make sure to cook it at least 5 hours in advance in let it sit uncovered until ready to use.
- Turn in the cooked rice in a wide bowl and drizzle with one tablespoon of coconut oil. Now grease your fingers with the oil and run the fingers through the rice making sure all grains are separate and no lumps are there.
- In a small bowl mix thoroughly soy sauce and curry powder. Keep aside until required.
- In a large pan, pour 1.5 tbsp of coconut oil and heat it over medium heat until it is hot. Add finely chopped shallots. After two minutes add, finely chopped garlic cloves and chilli flakes followed by Kaffir leaves. Once these are fried to a light brown, add salt and two tablespoons of vegetable broth and keep stirring. This should resemble like a thick paste.
- Add peas to the mixture in the pan and add some more vegetable broth to facilitate the cooking of peas. Keep stirring frequently and adding more broth to make sure the paste doesn’t dry up.
- After 7-10 minutes of cooking over medium heat, the peas will be tender and cooked. Add soya sauce and curry paste to this while stirring gently.
- Finally turn in rice, juicy pineapple chunks, and raisins and roasted unsalted cashewnuts to the pan while gently tossing and stirring. It’s important to keep individual grains separated and also to avoid lumps being formed.
- Raise the heat from medium to high and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove. Garnish the rice with chopped spring onions and coriander leaves. Serve hot.
THESE GLUTEN-FREE INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO PREPARE THIS RECIPE ARE AVAILABLE AT AMAZON.COM:
End of the recipe. Enjoy your meal!
Receive all my brand new recipes directly into your email inbox to save your precious time!
Simply click here to join my free VIP club (limited time offer!). As a VIP member, you will be notified about my latest hot recipes + you will get unlimited access to awesome resources and discounts exclusive for my VIP members only!
BONUS: If you join today, you will get free instant access to my guilt-free recipe eBook “Gluten-Free Desserts” (No credit card is required).